System Engineer for Copernicus Data Services
This position is for System Engineering services to be undertaken as part of the Copernicus Program within the Data and Information Access Services (DIAS) activities. The primary purpose of DIAS is to ensure that the uptake of Copernicus data and information is maximized across a broad range of user groups and that Copernicus is able to provide the critical mass and focal point for stimulating innovation and the creation of new business models based on EO data and information, taking into account the challenges of “Big Data”.
The engineering service provided shall perform system engineering tasks in support to the Copernicus Programme and in particular to DIAS (Data and Information Access Services) activities within the Data Services Competence area in relation to already existing frame contracts with industry for its implementation.
The following main tasks shall be performed:
- Contributing to the analysis, generation and management of requirements and related Agile methods applied for work execution with industry;
- Contributing to the architecture and design of Copernicus related components;
- Contributing with the review of industry implementations and perform testing/ prototyping;
- Contributing to the definition of technical interfaces with the external partners and service providers;
- Preparation of relevant documentation;
- Preparation and production of routine reports as necessary.
The key person(s) shall have a minimum of five years of experience in the specific field of system engineering, such as user requirements assessment, system architecture definition, development activities and experience of being directly involved in the evolution of systems or services in a highly-available (24/7) environment.
The following skills and experiences are mandatory:
- Systems architecture covering areas such as virtualization, cloud computing, orchestration, hosted processing, EO data access/ formats and security;
- Working experience with industry standards for interoperability (OGC, Inspire);
- Solid Background in software engineering, development;
- In depth knowledge of scripting languages Python;
- Demonstrated experience in writing of formal technical documentation;
- Have demonstrated excellent communication and team working skills;
- Have the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and obtain a system overview.
Working knowledge and experience in the following areas would be considered as assets:
- Jupyter Notebook;
- R language;
- knowledge of system validation and verification;
- Experience in a user/customer facing environment.
- Start date is April 2018.
- Tasks shall be carried out off-site on average 60% in the SCISYS Office and on-site 40% at EUMETSAT.