Software Developer Service
EUMETSAT is an intergovernmental organisation created through an international Convention agreed by 30 European Member States. The primary objective of EUMETSAT is to establish, maintain and exploit European systems of operational meteorological satellites, taking into account as far as possible the recommendations of the World Meteorological Organization.
For one of our main customers, EUMETSAT, we are currently looking for a Software Development Service provider. This service contract entails working both off-site and on-site at EUMETSAT. It is expected that the consultant will work at EUMETSAT Headquarters (located in Darmstadt, Germany) for between 2.4 to 4 days a month (equivalent to a 0.6 Full-time equivalent)), and in an office outside the premises of EUMETSAT the remainder of the time.
- The service activities include the planning, development and installation of software tools to address EUMETSAT needs via individual support requests. These support requests are issued in the form of Work Packages with a maximum effort allocation and cover activities which can be any of the following:Development (new, evolutionary) and maintenance (corrective, preventive) of software tools to automate and support the EUMETSAT specific Change and Configuration Management processes and working practices:Review bug reports and improvement proposals related to the software tools implementing EUMETSAT specific Change and Configuration Management processes and working practices;
- Conduct technical feasibility and effort/schedule assessment studies as relevant;
- Elaborate and maintain user, system software requirements;
- Following highest software quality standards, design, develop and unit test the new software tool versions which implement the approved bug reports and improvement proposals;
- Support the testing and deployment on the different EUMETSAT test and operational environments, including the writing of test plans, procedures and reports;
- Write and deliver technical, user and installation documentation, following, highest software quality standards.Plan, prepare, develop and deliver software releases up to the roll-out to the EUMETSAT operational environment.Monitor and tune the overall EUMETSAT CM system performances.Provide consultancy to the EUMETSAT CM team on the software tools, and fix any approved bug or enhancement.
- a University degree (minimum Bachelor) in Computer Science or a related technical field;
- at least 5 years of professional experience;
- Expert knowledge and practical experience of:Object oriented development and maintenance projects in VB.NET (minimum 5 years);
- Relational databases (Oracle or Sybase) and SQL programming;
- Microsoft Office tools;
- Software development standards applying advanced concepts and best object oriented programming practices, using proven industry technologies is mandatory.Practical experience acquired on large software-intensive 24/7 operational systems based on complex databases, ideally in the aerospace sector, is also mandatory.Knowledge of:Configuration Management tools such as Serena Dimensions CM or Clearcase;
- Source code control tools such as CVS or Subversion;
- ASP.NET and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF);
- Configuration Management standards such as ITIL, ISO, ECSS or CMMI will be considered as assets.In addition, the key person(s) shall:have demonstrated very good communication and team working skills;
- be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, in particular when supporting EUMETSAT Change and Configuration management processes and working practices;
- have demonstrated very good skills in timely documenting all his artefacts;
- be able to work calmly under stress without supervision.The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore consultant must be able to work effectively in this language. Knowledge of French would be an asset