Software Delivery Programme Manager
Inmarsat plc is a FTSE 100 company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. We operate in over 80 countries with more than 40 offices worldwide. The next few years will see the exciting realisation of business opportunities on Inmarsat’s existing fleet of 12 satellites, including the $1.2 billion launch of our next generation satellites and services, Global Xpress (GX).
Inmarsat is the industry leader and pioneer of mobile satellite communications, and we offer an unrivalled portfolio of global satcom solutions and value-added services to keep people connected at all times – whether travelling on land, at sea or in the air.
Our customers are found in many different sectors – but they are typically businesses and organisations that need to communicate where terrestrial telecom networks are unreliable or simply cannot reach.
We are an enterprising and multicultural company. More than 55 nationalities are represented in our workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of our business. We look for high-calibre, forward thinking, energetic people with a “can-do” attitude. We want people who thrive in a diverse and challenging work environment, who are receptive to change and who wholeheartedly embrace the opportunity to take responsibility for themselves and the company’s ongoing success.
Primary role purpose:
Inmarsat is looking for Software Delivery Programme Manager. Reporting to the Network Development VP, you will manage large development programmes and the project teams responsible for development of our software based solutions and applications. The successful candidate must have a proven record of accomplishment in software engineering projects as a developer or architect, as well as a project lead. Experience in development in a DevOps and Agile environment is required. This role champion process improvements in these areas of development and operations.
This is a wide ranging technical and programme management role that will require the successful candidate to lead a project team responsible for design, development, service introduction, and hand-off to operations. This includes all aspects associated with the definition and negotiation of scope of work, management of developers and development contractors, overall project management, vendor and customer relationship management.
The role will require co-ordination with a wide range of other project teams both within and external to Inmarsat. The candidate will be required to represent Inmarsat as the programme lead in meetings with vendors and must be capable of dealing confidently with experts in similar and different disciplines. The role may require regular travel to manufacturer premises and Inmarsat sites around the world to support acceptance testing and system integration activities.
- Successful delivery of large software development programmes in an Agile and DevOps development environment.
- Leadership of a highly technical staff assigned to programme team as technical subject matter experts
- Working collaboratively with cross functional and cross divisional teams to meet defined goals and objectives as part of programme delivery
- Work with vendors, stakeholders and subject matter experts to develop detailed work package definitions, budget, resourcing plan and implementation plan
- Must be able to do lead project team responsible for design and implementation of key technical components, frameworks, interfaces
- Work closely with other teams within Development and Engineering, as well as Operations to ensure successful handover of new systems into commercial service
- Engage all stakeholder groups to create project teams responsible for the development, testing and operational handover of systems.
- Create and maintain detailed level project plans, risk registers, and other programme office deliverables
- Drive collaboration and teamwork to execute the plan and monitor progress against the plan.
- Carry out effective and proactive risk, issue & change management
- Provide accurate and timely status reporting and produce monthly reporting for internal and customer’s benefit
- Manage project forecasting and resource scheduling
- Proactive management approach to achieving deliverables
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- The successful candidate must have 5 years of experience managing telecommunications development, integration/engineering teams on implementation of major development projects
- Strong programme management and negotiation skills, oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment are musts.
- 5+ years proven competence in delivering successful software development programmes utilizing both Agile and DevOps development methodologies in a complex business / technical environment
- Experience with iterative agile development and DevOps methodologies and continuous software delivery implementation practice
- Good knowledge of software systems integrations, including well-defined APIs and associated SDKs
- Prior technical experience in design, development and integration engineering projects, as software engineering resource
- First Degree or equivalent in Computing Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline
- Knowledge of TMForum standards
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, able to balance multiple projects and tasks, complete them successfully, and within timelines
- Strong interpersonal skill and oral and written communication skills
- Experience of implementing and controlling change Management
- Project planning, forecasting & reporting to project stakeholders
- Highly proficient in Microsoft specifically Project, Excel and Visio
- Ability to travel internationally
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience of Cloud technologies; AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
- Knowledge of Lifecycle tools such as Blueprint, Enterprise Architect, RUP toolset
- Knowledge of business and architecture frameworks such as TOGAF, Zachman
- Knowledge of OSS systems particularly Order Fulfilment
- Knowledge of CRM systems
- Programme/Project Management Certifications; ITIL, Prince2, MSP, PMP
- Knowledge of network technologies, such as IP/routing protocols, LAN/WAN.
- Knowledge of satellite communications
Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours, which support our wider corporate values, and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation. In this position, the following qualities are paramount:
Efficiency: Efficiency is about maximising benefit and profit, while minimising effort and expenditure. Managed correctly, it reduces costs, waste, and duplication and enables the delivery of quality products and services to our customers.
Customer Excellence: Customer Excellence applies to both our external and internal customers. It is about having a market orientated approach that enables the business to deliver what the customer wants. It is about organising activities, and making decisions that are based around information about customers’ needs, rather than what we think is right for them customer. It requires the development of long-term, collaborative and trusting relationships that combines customer needs with Inmarsat expertise.
Enterprise Spirit: Enterprise Spirit is about being agile and responding effectively to business opportunities within a changing environment. It’s about being self-motivated, resourceful, focused on output and making things happen. People with Enterprise Spirit are positive, enthusiastic, dedicated and not afraid to challenge the status quo.
Open Communications: Open Communication is about treating one another with respect and delivering appropriate, clear and focused messages. It is about fostering collaborative relationships, whilst maintaining individual accountability. It allows the best ideas to surface from anywhere within the organisation from those who have a genuine contribution to make. It cultivates an open environment that facilitates informed decisions, understanding and trust.
Employees are requested to notify their current manager of their application.