Radio Occultation Analysis and Processing Service (m/f)
Radio Occultation soundings have become an important contributor to WMO’s Global Observing System and fulfil key roles in both Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) and Climate Monitoring. With an increasing amount of RO data becoming available from various satellites and instruments, the consistent processing of these data sets as well as their systematic validation and inter-comparison is becoming increasingly important. Therefore EUMETSAT continues to develop its multi-mission RO processing capability in support of the regular reprocessing of RO data from its own as well as 3rd-party RO missions.
Apart from supporting the actual generation of consistently processed long-term RO data sets to its users in NWP and Climate Monitoring, the analysis and inter-comparison of data sets from different missions and with different algorithms regularly results in insights and an improved understanding of instrument and data characteristics. These, in turn, often lead to improvements in the data processing and uncertainty characterisation of the data.
Within the RO Processing and Analysis Service, the contractor will participate in
- Systematic statistical analyses and validation of various RO data sets during the development and application of EUMETSAT’s RO Science Processor in the context of RO reprocessing;
- The development and refinement of the uncertainty characterisation of RO data;
- The implementation and evolution of existing and future RO processing algorithms, in particular of wave optics approaches applied to tropospheric RO data.
- The contractor will further provide technical support for the implementation of newly developed and validated RO algorithms in EUMETSAT’s operational processing chains and the actual reprocessing of multi-mission RO data.
- In the later part of the contract, the contractor will also support the formal validation of EUMETSAT’s reprocessed RO data sets.
- The Contractor shall provide technical and scientific support for the activities described above. This support consists of tasks such as:
- Performing statistical analyses of RO data sets in comparison to other RO as well as NWP data;
- Implementing, testing and documenting modifications to EUMETSAT’s existing RO Reference Processor;
- Supporting reprocessing activities of multi-year RO data sets both technically and scientifically;
- Performing validation activities for EUMETSAT’s reprocessed RO data sets;
- Contributing to and/or writing reports, presentations and peer-reviewed papers presenting the results of these activities.
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the key person shall have experience in the processing and scientific analysis of remote sensing data, and ideally of RO data.
In addition, the key person shall have the following mandatory experience and background:
- Experience in RO and other remote sensing product validation methods;
- Knowledge of RO wave optics processing and/or simulation algorithms;
- Very good skills in a higher programming language, in particular Python using scientific (numpy, scipy) and plotting (matplotlib) packages;
- Good inter-personal skills in support of team work.
The following areas of expertise would be an advantage:
- Experience in the field of NWP or climate monitoring;
- Experience in scientific programming using other programming languages such as C/C++ or modern Fortran;
- Knowledge of R, SQL, and other Unix scripting languages;
- Knowledge about other aspects of RO data processing, e.g. Precise Orbit Determination.
- Start date is as soon as possible.