Payload and Spacecraft Design Engineer
The European Space Agency is ATGs biggest client. They are an international organisation with 22 member states with sites in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK and Belgium. ESA is Europes gateway to Space!
For one of our main customers ESA/ESTEC, we are currently looking for a Payload and Spacecraft Design Engineer who will be part of the FLEX Mission Engineering section and report to the Mission EngineeringManager.
- Managing and monitoring all aspects of the FLEX instrument and platform design and implementation relating to electronics and avionics hardware disciplines;
- Harmonising the activities of the specialist support in electronics and avionics hardware disciplines (electrical power and EMC, RF, etc.);
- Definition of electronics and avionics hardware requirements as part of the ESA Space Segment Requirements and evaluating the satellite prime design and development plans;
- Definition and maintenance of electrical and data interfaces (data busses and communication protocols) between the platform and the instrument;
- Definition and maintenance of the EMC requirements for the instrument and the satellite, using support from appointed power and EMC engineer;
- Ensuring a consistent and coherent approach is applied at all levels of the instrument and satellite industrial consortium to the specification, design and implementation of all electronics and avionics hardware, to be compliant with the specified ESA requirements and standards;
- Coordinating the procurement process for all instrument and platform subsystems and equipment relating to electronics and avionics hardware aspects, including review of procurement documentation, evaluation of offers and participation in industrial negotiations;
- Monitoring the industrial progress and design evolution at instrument and platform subsystem and equipment levels, ensuring it remains consistent with FLEX technical and programmatic requirements;
- Contribute to the definition of the instrument and satellite Electrical Ground Support Equipment, and to support the relevant procurement Activities;
- Providing early warning of potential problem areas and ensure appropriate mitigation actions are identified and implemented;
- Supporting formal Project Reviews, coordinating all electronics and avionics hardware aspects;
- Supporting the instrument team in the definition, planning and execution of rigorous electrical Verification and AIT plans at instrument level;
- Contribute to the satellite Verification planning and execution related to all electronics and avionics hardware aspects.
- Experience in the design and implementation of instrument and satellite platform electronics and avionics including related GSE;
- Experience in the procurement process of on-board hardware Components;
- Experience in the planning and execution of electrical verification and AIT at unit and satellite level;
- Ability to work autonomously, effectively and cooperatively in a diverse and international team environment;
- Ability to coordinate specialist support from the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality;
- Proficient in the English language (spoken and written).