MTG Lightning Imager Data Processing Engineer
EUMETSAT is an intergovernmental organisation created through an international Convention agreed by 30 European Member States. The primary objective of EUMETSAT is to establish, maintain and exploit European systems of operational meteorological satellites, taking into account as far as possible the recommendations of the World Meteorological Organization.
The Lighting Imager Data Processing Engineer shall provide consultancy to the LI on-ground data processing development within EUMETSATs Geostationary Programmes division (GEO), with emphasis on all the 0-1b data processing aspects. He or she shall provide consultancy to the Instrument Functional Chain Engineering (IFCE) group of the MTG System Engineering team within the GEO Division and report to the LI instrument system engineer. He or she also provide consultancy to the Remote Sensing and Products Division (RSP) within EUMETSAT that works on the LI.
- The Data Processing Engineer shall provide consultancy for the MTG programme for the LI instrument in the following areas.The development and evaluation of detector, electronic, radiometric, quality flagging, performance and calibration degradation correction and Monitoring algorithms (detector, electronics and optical) and all other algorithms relevant for the LI 0-1b data processing. For INR / geolocation Algorithms support from LI side towards algorithms provided by other sources is anticipated;
- The development and evaluation of appropriate LI triggered event filtering / flagging algorithms (on board and on ground), and the analysis of their Impact on the 0-1b data processing and 1-2 data processing, with emphasis on the 0-1b data processing;
- The development of a reference processor for LI, from input scenes and level-0 to level-1b to level-2, within EUMETSAT, including and with emphasis on the LI instrument simulation software and 0-1b data processing aspects;
- The development of prototype software code for the purposes of testing and verification of the developed LI 0-1b algorithms;
- Contribute to the Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Document (ATBD) development for the LI 0-1b processing;
- The generation of LI test data at L0 and L1(b);
- The performance verification of EUMETSAT generated LI 0-1b algorithms and validation of algorithm performance under operational situations;
- The interpretation and analysis of LI-related test campaigns and test (verification) data;
- The generation of associated documentation including technical reports, test reports etc;
- The development of the LI in-orbit level 1 performance verification and calibration/validation;
- Conducting and supporting external studies relevant for and related to the above activities, and analysing and evaluating the study results.
- In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in Physics or other relevant discipline related to the subjectshall have at least two years experience in the following areas.Demonstrable experience of at least 2 years with characteristics and data usage of satellite instruments for earth observation in the visible-near-infrared range of the spectrum and with their 0-1b calibration, as well as with relating physics processes in such satellite instruments to the relevant 0-1b data processing algorithms required to provide geophysically calibrated level-1b data;
- Demonstrable experience of at least 2 years with scientific instrument data simulation, 0-1b data processing software development and prototyping/testing such software, for satellite instruments for earth observation in the visible-near-infrared range of the spectrum and acquisition of simulated satellite instrument data sets:Solid background in software engineering;
- Demonstrable experience in software development in a Linux and/or Unix environment in C/C++;
- Capable of working both individually and independently on assigned responsibilities, as well as coordinating with the LI/MTG team where necessary;
- Ability to write concise and comprehensive scientific and technical reports;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills;
- Practical knowledge of as many as possible of the following skills will be an advantage;
- Experience with the latest software development tools and methods;
- Prototyping tools (e.g. Python);
- Software configuration control tools;
- Software build environments and tools (e.g. make, imake);
- Experience with specification, design and coding of 0-1b data processing systems for earth-observing satellite instrumentation in the visible-near-infrared range of the spectrum;
- The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the consultancy is English and therefore the key person must be able to work effectively and have good writing skills in English.