Design and Process Development Engineer
ATG is a leading provider of specialised engineering, scientific and technical services to the Aerospace and High Tech industries. Our headquarters is located in Noordwijk, The Netherlands and we have subsidiaries in Germany, UK and Ireland.
For our in-house engineering department, ATG SpaceLabs, we are looking for a bright and enthusiastic design and process development engineer with a passion for and deep understanding of composite structures and materials.ATG SpaceLabs provides high-end structural, thermal and flow engineering services to European aerospace and high-tech industries. Using the high quality standards we already meet for over 15 years in the aerospace industry and the experience in design, analysis and optimization we built up there, we support our customers throughout the whole development process, from the early stages of conceptual design up to and including full qualification and certification of the product.Our mixed-age team of ambitious multidisciplinary top-talented engineers has performed the complete design, analysis and verification of thermal control systems for space instruments. It was also responsible for the design and qualification of mission critical primary mechanical components for interplanetary missions.Since 2013 an additional focus of SpaceLabs is on technology development and complex structural systems. Here we target specific products, applications and even entire technology development programmes. Apart from the on-going developments we are continuously scouting for best approaches to provide game changing technologies, capabilities and products in the future. In general we are developing challenging structural solutions for various applications starting from manufacturing technology development, confirming the analysis methodology through testing and developing multi-disciplinary optimisation processes and capabilities, both to enhance efficiency in standard workflows, and to unlock unique product performance and reduction of development cost. An example of such projects is the technology development for pre-preg fibre-placed grid-stiffened architectures for launcher and spacecraft structures.Currently SpaceLabs, through its subsidiary company in Galway, Ireland ATG Innovation is in the process of setting up a distributed team which will perform technology developments and industrialization as well as engineering projects together with the SpaceLabs team in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- As a design process development engineer for ATG Innovation the candidate will work within a group of technical professionals with a multi-disciplinary focus on composite structure developments mainly for the spacecraft and launchers industry. The position encompasses a relatively broad set of responsibilities including;
- Participating in top level design / system engineering on the composite technologies and products;
- Design and optimization activities from the manufacturability and processing perspectives;
- Definition of manufacturing approaches, instructions and detailing of manufacturing methodologies;
- Leading design for manufacturing activities;
- Supporting the analysis activities by manufacturing insights;
- Participating in composite manufacturing activities;
- Supporting/supervising other team members, incl. interns.
- Affinity and experience with fibre-reinforced composite materials/structures, their applicability for various products depending on product needs as well as the challenges and opportunities of applying composite materials/structures in various industries;
- Affinity with manufacturing processes for metals and metallic assemblies;
- Knowledge of composite design and optimization methods: ability to perform conceptual design/analysis activities, hand calculations;
- Experience with CAD software (CATIA V5);
- Affinity and preferably experience with manufacturing methods for high performance composites. Insight into what the methods are, their applicability, limitations and challenges;
- What is beneficial is a mindset with knowledge/awareness of design for manufacturing challenges for composites structures and ability to think in a multi-disciplinary way, using rules of thumb for various disciplines: e.g. structural, thermal, material, manufacturing, cost, damage tolerance, AIT, etc;
- Affinity with the FE method, its capabilities and limitations;
- Ability to perform FE calculations and setup efficient and adequate models is a plus;
- 0 to 5 years of relevant work experience;
- Education level: University Degree in Engineering (Aerospace, Mechanical);
- Good communication skills in English (German Dutch are advantageous);
- Personal initiative and thirst for improvement;
- Well organised and capable of organising an efficient workflow;
- Capable of working in and together with an ambitious team of experts;
- Independent thinker that can operate in a stand-alone setting;
- Open-minded attitude, with a capability to challenge industry standards in order to create better products and potentially improve the industry itself;
- At least a rudimentary sense of humour is appreciated.