Data Processing Systems Engineer (m/f/d)
The engineering service shall cover the following service requirements. The Contractor shall perform tasks related to data processing engineering in support of the DPS&A team. The Contractor shall provide services to the Data Processing engineering team, including:
- Data processing in phase B/C/D:
- Follow-up on the facility supplier’s activities
- Review of the data pack delivered for the reviews
- Support preparation of EUMETSAT deliverables to the contractors
- Participation in the contractors` reviews
- Support for the Data pack for the OGS CDR and possibly other intermediate checkpoints
- Support of the relevant OGS and System activities
- Technical baseline engineering monitoring and update
- Tests and acceptance phases preparation
- Provide expertise in data processing engineering
- Contribute to raising, processing and coordinating RIDs in the documentation provided by the prime contractor of the facility in the different reviews that will take place in the different programmes.
- Contribute and participate on request to progress meetings
- Contribute to technical meetings, scheduling, and planning coordination meetings.
- Participate in data processing team meetings and associated activities and reviews where required in the area of data processing system engineering inside of DPS&A CA.
- Contribute and participate on request to dedicated technical workshops;
- Provide training, through written materials, practical demonstrations and presentations, to other parties involved in the related projects (including controllers, analysts and engineers).
- Undertake training identified as necessary to become familiar with the system and be able to perform their tasks;
- Become familiar with the facility usage, setup, configuration and installation once delivered by the prime contractor.
- Contribute to the facility handover to OGS integration team and /or operations
- Perform requirements engineering in DOORS for related data processing requirements. This includes review, specification and refinement of existing requirements, their up-traces to parent Ground Segment specifications, justifications and verification methods;
- Ensure coherency of requirements with processors’ specifications;
- Provide inputs to the definition of ICDs between data processing elements and other GS functions;
- Provide inputs to the definition of testing and Operational scenarios for data processing elements;
- Provide inputs to the definition of data processing concepts and trade-offs to support requirements understanding and justification
- Data processing in phase E:
- Contribute to the maintenance activities, including characterisation of system component behaviour against required performance, proposal and implementation of system alterations (including component modification) to achieve required performance
- Contribute to the evolution activities, including conceptual design, requirements specification, functional modelling, system analysis, and concept development to support increased performance, rationalisation of components, and cost reduction.
- Contribute to raising, processing and coordinating anomalies, their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in relevant Anomaly Review Boards
- During phase C/D/E the Contractor shall provide contributions to the Technical Notes with comments on the revision (i.e list of Review Item Discrepancy - RID) to the following documents:
– Review System Requirements Document (either to the new or update to existing documents);
– Contribution to Risk Register and first version of the Project Management Plan;
– Review System analyses and concept Documents (Consolidated Design);
– Contribution/ revision to Identification of testing needs (test data or test tools), as part of the test plan;
– Identified uncertainties in the budget estimates (time and cost);
– Review Design Documents at system and sub-system level (preliminary) (including ICDs);
– Review System and Integration Test Plan;
– Review Set of finalised Design Documents, including final ICDs;
– Review Test documentation, covering Integration, Verification and Validation aspects;
– Support to the identification of Operations Documentation updates (SCP, GCP, OPS Guide) and needs for training;
– Review MME delta design.
- Interface with other teams and partners
- Liaise and coordinate as required with the ground segment system Contractor and system operations to ensure the continuity of mission operations and optimisation of the ground segment
- Liaise and coordinate as required with external engineering partners for the joint deployment of the data processing components, and for anomaly investigation and reporting of issues that might impact those partners
- Liaise and coordinate as necessary with other service providers.
- A university degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the job profile
- At least 3 years’ relevant in preparation of requirements, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data processing systems for Earth Observation missions (experience on data processing for high data rates missions will be considered an asset)
- More than 8 years’ relevant experience with L1/L2 processing software for Earth Observation missions, either for operations/maintenance or specification and development
- Demonstrated experience knowledge of the requirements engineering process, including relation between requirements, ICDs, design and testing documentation;
- Demonstrated ability to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the implementation of the service. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context;
- Demonstrated experience with UNIX/Linux operating systems.
- Fluent in English (communication and writing skills)
- Willingness to work within a multidisciplinary context in cooperation with other teams. The ability to maintain a system overview is essential.
- Systematic approach to work, be able to plan their work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
- Capability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
Furthermore, it would be highly desirable for the team to have experience with or knowledge of some of the following:
- Knowledge of the IBM DOORS tool or an equivalent for requirements management;
- Experience of validating complex remote sensing data processing systems
- Knowledge of ECSS and CCSDS standards;
- Knowledge and/or experience of quality control, instrument calibration and IV&V.
- Start date is as soon as possible.
- The tasks of the Contractor will be carried out at EUMETSAT facilities in Darmstadt at the level of 80% and as required in the Work Package but travel within Europe may be exceptionally requested for certain activities.