Chemical Propulsion Engineer
The European Space Agency is ATGs biggest client. They are an international organisation with 22 member states with sites in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK and Belgium. ESA is Europes gateway to Space!
For one of our main customers ESA/ESTEC, we are looking for a Chemical Propulsion Engineer to provide expert technical support in Propulsion for Spacecraft (chemical propulsion) and for Launchers (liquid and solid propulsion) to the Agencys project teams responsible for the development of spacecraft and launchers, throughout all the project phases.
- Supporting the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in spacecraft and launcher propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems and systems).;
- Supporting the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in advanced propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems, systems), such as nuclear propulsion, solar/thermal upper stages, Airbreathing Propulsion, Advanced Chemical Systems, MEMS etc.;
- Support in the following activities:;
- Provision of specialised support to Agency feasibility and project definition studies, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion;
- Participation in the definition and execution of the Agencys technology programmes;
- Contribution to the overseeing activities of the Technical and Quality Management Directorate;
- Harmonisation with other ESA and national developments and monitoring of applicable development trends;
- Provision of specialised support to feasibility, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion, including CDF participation;
- Assessment and development of chemical propulsion novel propulsion concepts (e.g. Nuclear and Airbreathing technologies);
- Assessment and development of relevant advanced propulsion methods, processes and concepts (MEMS propulsion, Green Propulsion, Advanced Manufacturing, etc.);
- the configuration/system design of chemical propulsion systems including the initiation of appropriate critical technology developments (coordinating support by other D/TEC sections);
- Establishment and promotion of design and engineering standards in the area of chemical propulsion;
- The undertaking of programmes of basic experimental research and evaluation/qualification testing in the chemical propulsion in the ESA Propulsion Laboratory at ESTEC.
- PhD or Ms degree in engineering;
- As per Job Class in aerospace or mechanical engineering with emphasis in space propulsion related subjects;
- Proven experience in the design, development and/or testing of chemical propulsion systems and/or components for spacecraft and/or launcher applications;
- A good knowledge of other specialist technological areas involved in space propulsion i.e. materials, thermal, mechanical would also be desirable.