Additional Data Services System Engineer
One of our Space Clients based in Germany are seeking an Additional Data Services System Engineer to support the development, documentation, operational implementation, verification and validation, and the maintenance of algorithms and tools for the processing and formatting of products from satellite data and for tools for the monitoring and reporting of the processing.
The closing date for applications is 19/04/2016.
To provide consultancy to the implementation of algorithms and tools for the formatting of incoming and outgoing data according to user and system requirements. You shall contribute to evolution and maintenance of software tools for the monitoring and reporting of the data processing and the data quality as well as to their documentation.
Furthermore you shall provide support to the specification and test of reformatting software that is to be made available to users.
The Contractor shall provide consultancy via its key person to small project teams dealing with the requested changes. The Contractor will also be involved in the analysis and resolution of anomalies relating to the product generation and data formatting software.
The tasks of the Contractor to be carried out by its key person will generally include:
- Design and validation of new algorithms and tools for reading and encoding of satellite products in various data formats (native formats, WMO formats like BUFR and GRIB, netCDF, HDF).
- Implementation and V&V of processing and reformatting software in operational environments.
- Documentation of changes related to implemented updates.
- Preparation of technical notes and user information documents on product formats.
- Maintenance and update of product generation monitoring and reporting software.
- Investigation and resolution of anomalies related to product processing and product formatting.
University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline such as computer science, physics, mathematics or remote sensing.
A minimum of 3 years’ experience of operational processing of satellite or meteorological data.
Specifically the key person shall have experience in:
- Development of operational software using FORTRAN, C and C++ in a UNIX environment.
- Application of scientific and operational data formats (at least BUFR, netCDF, HDF, and GRIB).
- Configuration control of software and data.
- Implementation of software from a given specification.
- Documentation of software.
Furthermore, experience of working in the following would be an advantage:
- Processing of meteorological data.
- Script programming languages (shells, PYTHON, PERL).
- Software related aspects of IPR.
- JAVA programming.
- Operational environments.
- Visualization/prototyping tools such as IDL or Matlab.
- The key person shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and structured manner, shall be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work without supervision.
- Integration of software in an operational environment requires the co-ordination of various activities with the ADS team and with other teams.
- Fluency in English is essential.